Sun City South Africa is a popular destination for locals and foreign visitors alike. It offers many things to do, including seeing the Big 5 and other animal encounters. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about Sun City, South Africa.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links to make a purchase, I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
- What is Sun City South Africa?
- The History of Sun City
- Where is Sun City, South Africa, located?
- How far is Sun City from Johannesburg
- The cost of visiting Sun City South Africa as a day visitor
- Is Sun City safe?
- Is Malaria a concern when visiting Sun City?
- Is Sun City worth visiting?
- What is the weather like in Sun City, South Africa?
- When is the best time to visit Sun City?
- How many hotels does Sun City have?
- How much is Sun City Hotels per night?
What is Sun City South Africa?
If you are not familiar with Sun City, South Africa, you may want to know what it is and what Sun City is famous for. Sun City South Africa is a casino and luxury resort. The Sun City resort complex is extensive and comprises themed sub-resorts, each with its own hotel. Sun City South Africa is not a theme park, but it offers various water and other activities for adventure-seekers and families.
The History of Sun City
The world-famous hotel magnate, Sol Kerzner, developed the Sun City Resort Group as part of the Sun International group of properties. Sun City officially opened on 7 December 1979. Sun City is located in Bophuthatswana, an independent state. Bophuthatswana’s independent nature allowed it to provide entertainment services such as casinos, gambling, and topless revue shows, which the South African government banned in South Africa.
When the United Nations imposed a cultural boycott on South Africa because of apartheid, Kerzner offered significant financial incentives to artists to perform at Sun City. These artists included the Beach Boys, Millie Jackson, Linda Ronstadt, Cher, Liza Minnelli, Frank Sinatra, Rod Stewart, and Elton John.
Sun City also hosted a racially mixed world heavyweight boxing championship fight between Mike Weaver and South African Gerrie Coetzee in 1980. Weaver won the match.
Bophuthatswana was eventually re-incorporated into South Africa after apartheid ended in 1994.
Where is Sun City, South Africa, located?
Many foreign tourists think Sun City is in Gauteng, but it is not in or near Johannesburg or Pretoria, the two biggest cities in South Africa’s Gauteng Province. It is in the North-West Province of South Africa near Rustenberg. The Sun City Complex is next to the Pilanesberg Game Reserve.
How far is Sun City from Johannesburg
Sun City’s distance from the two largest cities in South Africa, Johannesburg and Pretoria, makes it a popular holiday and weekend destination for residents of these cities. Most foreign visitors usually want to know how far Sun City is from different places:
- How far is Sun City, South Africa, from Johannesburg International Airport?: The exact distance between Sun City and Johannesburg International Airport depends on the route but varies between 200 – 220 km. On average, it would take around 2,5 hours to drive there by car.
- How far is Sun City from Johannesburg’s City Centre? The distance from Sun City to Johannesburg varies from 180 to 200 km, which would take up to 2,5 hours per car.
- How far is Sun City from Pretoria? The distance between Sun City, South Africa, and Pretoria is approximately 160 km, which would be a 2-hour drive by car.
The cost of visiting Sun City South Africa as a day visitor
If you are staying at one of the Sun City Resort Complex’s resorts, your entrance to Sun City and the Valley of the Waves is free. If you are a day visitor to Sun City, you may wonder how much the admission fee to Sun City is. As a day visitor, you will pay R395 or about $30 per adult, R290 or $22 per child (between the ages of 3 and 12). Children under the age of 3 enter for free.
Because of Corona, restrictions may apply to the day visitors and access to facilities at Sun City. It is best to pre-book tickets to ensure availability to the facilities at Sun City as a day visitor.
Is Sun City safe?
When visiting Sun City, you need to follow standard safety guidelines. Never display valuables or leave valuables unattended. There is safety personnel available throughout the resort, and as long you are careful, Sun City is safe.
Is Malaria a concern when visiting Sun City?
You don’t need to worry about Malaria as Sun City is in a malaria-free area.
Is Sun City worth visiting?
If you doubt that Sun City South Africa is worth visiting, consider the range of activities on offer. There are things to do at Sun City for everyone, regardless of age.
What is the weather like in Sun City, South Africa?
The weather at Sun City, South Africa, is temperate. Sun City has sunny weather most days of the year. In terms of the best weather for visiting, most people may prefer May to October over the winter period when it is not as hot as in the Summer when the heat can be unpleasant. Just remember that the Valley of the Waves closes during some of the winter months, and it may be too cold to enjoy the water rides at Sun City. If you plan on visiting from November to April, expect thundershowers in the late afternoons.
When is the best time to visit Sun City?
You can easily visit Sun City during any time of the year because of its moderate climate. If you love hot weather and spending time in the water, the Summer months from November to January will be the warmest. This is also the busiest time at Sun City as the South African schools all break over the festive season and the start of the New Year.
To avoid the peak times, avoid going to Sun City, South Africa, from December to January and over Easter.
The best months to visit are from May to September, when the weather is much cooler, and the resort is quieter. The winter months are better for seeing the Big 5.
How many hotels does Sun City have?
The Sun City Resort Complex has 4 hotels, which are:
- The Cabanas: The Cabanas is the most affordable hotel in Sun City and focuses on families. It has an informal atmosphere, childcare facilities, and easy access to Kamp Kwena and the Waterworld. There is a shuttle from the Cabanas to the entertainment centre.
- The Soho Hotel (formerly called the Sun City Hotel or The Main Hotel): The Soho Hotel overlooks the golf courses and is perfect for spending the day at the hotel’s pools and spa.
- The Cascades Hotel: The Cascades Hotel is set in beautiful lush gardens surrounded by waterways. The design of the Cascades hotel resembles an Aztec temple. This hotel has a central location near the Gary Player Country Club and the Sun City Resort’s Entertainment Centre.
- The Palace of the Lost City: This is the most expensive hotel in the Sun City Resort Complex. The myth of a lost African kingdom inspired the design of the Palace of the Lost City. The Palace is a large building with beautiful fountains, mosaics, and frescoes. Landscaped jungle and waterfalls surround the hotel.
The Sun City Resort Complex also has a vacation club, but they sell these as time-share units.
How much is Sun City Hotels per night?
The exact time of the year will influence the price per night, but the table below shows the cost per night during peak and non-peak seasons:
|Hotel||Rates (ZAR)||Rates (USD)|
|The Cabanas||R1,580 – R2,900||$115 – $213|
|The Soho Hotel||R3,000 – R5,700||$220 – $413|
|The Cascades Hotel||R2,900 – R5,100||$212 – $370|
|The Palace of the Lost City||R4,400 – R8,500||$319 – $618|